13 April, 2008

Customer Omega for airlines


I stumbled upon this article quite by chance recently. It came through on my Friend feed (See this post about Friend Feed if you're still not there with this...)

Basically, Jeff Jarvis has, I think, hit the nail right on the head when it comes to airlines and how they treat their passengers. I should know - at one point I was flying 2 or three times per week for a couple of years. Of course it is a fairly broad statement and there are airlines out there who do not treat folks that way (Virgin Atlantic has a better reputation than most in the UK), but certainly amongst the national carriers and the smaller, budget airlines there does seem to be a tendency to classify passengers as a necessary nuisance.

I do remember one instance where a mistake had been made with my transatlantic reservation (with one of those well know American based Airlines) and in order for me to travel I had to purchase a full ticket for the whole flight (which cost somewhere in the region of £5000). This was a full price business class return ticket for my whole journey. Then - despite the fact that we were able to uncover my original reservation later on no discount was applied - and then to make it worse the airline magically 'lost' my original payment which meant they were unable to refund me the £5000 for the second ticket I bought. Despite getting the credit card company involved I still ended up out of pocket. Seriously out of pocket!

Let's hope that there are no more Omega passengers.

I wonder where the airlines will go next......

Photo courtesy of d'n'c

Apture