11 August, 2008

Looking at Variable Pitch Prop Training

I mentioned in an earlier post that one of the things you can do to improve your general level of safety while flying is to get further training. Yes, it's usually expensive, but it is also your life you're talking about so it's probably worth it!

How many people, for instance, know what to do in the case of a complete radio loss? What Transponder code do you use? How do you approach an airfield to land without the radio? What do the signals mean? Something like this could save your life. (* answers in a later post - stay tuned!)

On the subject of training I'm looking at doing some additional training related to variable pitch propellers. I have managed to ingratiate myself into a group running a Cessna 182 Skylane and the guy running the group is an instructor (and Air Traffic Controller) who will give me the necessary training.

I went up to see the plane over the weekend. It's a 1972 Skylane with Autopilot, Garmin GPS (yoke mounted), redundant radio etc, etc, etc. Also, because it has the Continental VP prop there is the extra lever in the throttle quadrant (not that Cessna's have a throttle quadrant as such, just a line of levers sticking straight out of the panel)

Hopefully I should be able to get a couple of hours training to work out the peculiarities of VP props. In addition to that the training should also allow me work out the best way to land this big, heavy beast (remember I'm used to flying little PA28's around the sky, this is a big step up for me). According to the instructor, landing is achieved by remembering that 'The 182 is actually a two wheeled aircraft for landing - the nose wheel is there merely to stop the prop from striking the ground".

Having spent 15 minutes sat in the cockpit and looking at everything it does remind me how familiar I am with the PA28 layout and how alien some of the controls are in the 182 (There's a whole section of the panel that has the autopilot controls!! The circuit breakers are hidden behind my yoke!! What's this panel with the knurled knob's on it near my feet??) no doubt it will all become clear in time.

More updates as they happen

Apture