20 March, 2008

Visit an ATC Unit !


I don't know about you, but I find that I understand how things work much better when I get in there and start seeing things up-close and first hand.

Telling me something will only get me so far. I have to see it in action.

That's why, when I listen to the guys working the air traffic control in the UK, I always want to know how they are dealing with requests, what the conditions are like in the room and what I can do as a pilot to help them to help me

I was delighted, therefore, to learn that many of the air traffic control units in the UK will open up their doors in May to allow visitors.

The event is being organised by the Airspace and Safety Initiative and encompasses MOD facilities, NATS facilities and a couple of other units such as Cambridge, Blackpool and Inverness.

More details are available on the website along with contact information to book your place. The events are free but spaces are limited. You must be a holder of a pilots licence (NPPL, PPL, BGA certificate etc). Those attending will be required to show their licence. If you have not pre-registered or cannot produce your pilot licence you will not be admitted on the day.

Hopefully you will be able to make it to one of them, and if your going to Farnborough, I might see you there!

Apture